Saturday, December 22, 2012

Christmas Goodies

 So, Pinterest has gotten me excited about making a few bake goods and crafts this holiday season.


Graham and I listened to some Christmas records while I worked on my projects.



I made non-edible star cookie ornaments for Meghan and Angie's trees.

I made picture tags.




    


I made melting snowman hot cocoa kits. Check out the snowman melting in action. It works better with cool whip. I will post a new picture when we get some cool whip. I re-used baby formula scoops, tagged the kits with pictures of the recipients, and used a felt ribbon that looks like a scarf. The snowman marshmallows are made with edible markers.


I saw the below link for Jack Daniel Caramels and that made me want to make some. But we are low on cash and we were out of JD, so I just made regular caramels.


I made caramels and bundled them with twine for Dee Dee.


One batch of caramels ended up being brittle. I used butter pecan flavoring for this batch.


Richard helping make Santa cookies years and years ago. The only picture I could find of myself making the Santa cookies was a picture of me and Kim Mason Henry when we were in 5th grade or middle school and we both had perms. One of the good decisions I have made this week, is NOT posting that picture. Haha!

I made my grandmother's Santa cookies. She made so many of these every single year until she couldn't anymore. She always used shredded coconut for the beard, but I never really liked that part, so I don't use it. My Santa cookies turned out fluffier this year, so I guess I used too much baking soda? The one in the picture above is the only cookie that looked more normal. They all still looked pretty good after the icing and sugar were added. Also, this year my icing wouldn't harden. I think it is because I used some light Karo syrup and I usually don't. We used red sugar for the lips and hat, half raisins for the eyes (put in place before you bake the cookies), red food coloring and egg whites on the cheeks, and royal icing on the beard, eyebrows, and hat trim.
Use this royal icing recipe, instead of one with Karo syrup.






I made powdered donuts snowmen for Richard. He loved powdered donuts when he was a kid. Mom found him under the piano once after eating an entire box of powdered donuts and had powder sugar all over his face and he looked really guilty.  The  eyes and mouth are mini chocolate chips with the pointy tip pushed into the donut and the orange nose is a cut up orange Starburst. 





I made smore packs for Frank and our trip to the cabin.








No comments: