(This blog website is not cooperating with the layout. I really need to switch to a different blogsite. Disregard the pictures not lining up on the same line, etc.)
We have been busy making some Christmas preparations around our house. I want everything to be special for Graham's first Christmas.
We only had two stockings. I had to make some new matching stockings, so Graham could have his very own stocking for his first Christmas! I had two brown velvet curtain panels that we couldn't use in our new house, but I love the color and the fabric of the curtains. I decided to re-purpose the velvet curtains into our new velvet Christmas stockings. I am saving some fabric so we can make more, if need to in the future. I used a satin brown ribbon for the hanging loop. I also had a beautiful gray satin formal long skirt that I loved, but haven't been able fit in for years. I re-purposed the skirt for our new Christmas tree skirt and re-purposed the skirt lining for the stocking lining. See Christmas stocking tutorial below. Thank you to Patsy for embroidering our names on the stockings. See her link below.
I made this wreath a few years ago. I spray painted the pine cones for another project and used a few of them on the wreath. I also wired on some brown ball ornaments, brown glittery ribbon, and green glittery star. I really like the look of natural pine-cones more. Maybe I will trade them out next year.
Although I think the "designer" trees are beautiful, we always do a more traditional tree with a variety of ornaments that mean something to us. They remind me of special times growing up. I like having the picture frame ornaments of our grandparents that are no longer with us. That way they can still be a part of our Christmas.
Graham's handprint and footprint, highschool graduation, "Buster" wiener dog, the year I was born, picture frame with pictures of our grandparents in them, colleges we graduated from, felt ornaments my grandmother made, crocheted snowflakes Matthew's grandmother made, cross, nativity scene, beach ornaments from Matthew's aunt, fishing ornaments, ornaments from our trip to Prague, ornaments from the year we were married, banjo ornaments and many more.
See the re-purposed skirt to tree skirt above. I made non-edible star cookie ornaments to go on the presents this year. See recipe below. Brown Kraft paper, green and cream twine, star ornament, and black and white picture of the recipient as the gift tag. I think the presents have an evergreen tree feel to them.
Non-edible Cookie Ornament Recipe
1/2 cup of cinnamon
4 cups of all purpose flour (I had to add about 2 cups more as needed. I don't know if that is becuase it is so humid here or what)
1 cup of salt
1-1/2 cup of hot water
bake at 200 degrees for 1 hour
Makes about 3 dozen
I love this Mary, Joseph, and baby Jesus that belonged to my Grandmother. They are so soft and delicate.
Nativity scenes that I love.
Ornament from our trip to Cesky Krumlov. This is one of my favorites!
Hot cocoa Santa mug that was my grandmothers. My grandmother made these felt Santa napkin holders.
My grandmother's Three Wisemen handmade cloth banner. She loved the Three Wisemen.
These elves were my grandmother's too. I have one of them on the bookshelf in the living room and one on Graham's bookshelf. The memories! These elves only watched over us to make sure we were behaving. They weren't as active as the "Elf on the Shelf" the kids have today. Graham liked looking at these on the bookcase. He loves little details. I am amazed at what he notices.
Graham and I made Christmas cards for the grandparents. It is hard to do a 7 month old baby's foot prints with paint, but they will be so special.
We went to the University of Mobile Christmas Spectacular.
Our new church asked us to light the advent wreath candle for the first Sunday in December and Matthew did a reading.
Graham at the Christmas parade in Fairhope. He fell asleep on the drive over, so he was sleepy. He didn't cry, he just had sleepy eyes. I don't know why they look so red and glassy. He wasn't that impressed with the sparkly parade like I thought he might be. Maybe next year he will be old enough to appreciate the decorations. Matthew was impressed with the Pig on the Piggly Wiggly float, so he made me get a picture. Graham is growing out of these overalls. I can't believe he is growing out of his 6 month clothes. He is getting so big!
I am hoping to make my grandmother's Santa cookies before Christmas and a few more sewing projects. I will post if I get them finished.

1 comment:
Good Stuff. I hope I get a Santa Cookie ;-)
Post a Comment